A focused market proposition and market segmentation model, supported by a new sales structure and sales processes.
“Performative has made a significant contribution to this business which is visible everyday as we are growing the business rather than just marking time. Since the work has been completed they have been very supportive and are always available at the end of the telephone to provide advice and guidance on a wide range of business issues.”
Effective recruitment of a new Commercial Director and support for executive team-building.
“In early 2010 we decided to recruit a Commercial Director to take over the management of the sales and marketing function from me and Performative designed and ran the entire recruitment project. The service provided was excellent as it allowed me to spend more of my time on business, both operationally and strategically, while Performative ran the recruitment project.” MD, Chiltern IT
Chiltern IT is a multi-faceted business supplying IT parts, IT equipment recycling and secure identity equipment and supplies. The company was operating successfully, but felt the sales operation could be better profiled to drive growth.
The Performative Solution
The Performative Sales Maturity Assessment (SMA) determined a number of key focus areas, which resulted in a Sales Performance Transformation Programme covering the following:
- An analysis stage including use of a profiling tool, which helped understand the individual members of the sales team, which in turn drove the performance coaching of the individuals.
- A Market Focus Review to better define the proposition and to be more selective in targeting the markets.
- Research work to refine the list of specific companies to target for new business.
- Introduction of outbound selling tools and techniques to enable proactive hunting for new customers.
- Design and implementation of relevant structured selling techniques to help the sales force manage a mix of reactive and proactive selling work.
- Introduction of key account selling techniques, including creation of an account planning template, to enable the Managing Director (MD) to focus his selling effort into major accounts.
Performative later designed and ran the recruitment of a Commercial Director to take over the sales and marketing roles from the MD. This involved defining the compensation package, advertising, running and supporting interviews and conducting psychometric profiling.
More recently, Performative has done additional profiling work for use by the MD as part of the team building process with his top team. The Commercial Director has been so successful, he was promoted to MD.
A transformed sales operation now selling solutions rather than just products and capable of competing and winning against all types of competitor.
“During the 15 month period of the Performative project we were going through significant change across the business. The extensive business knowledge of the senior Performative staff enabled them to make a major contribution to our change programme going well beyond the scope of the sales [performance transformation] project. The work done by Performative created a great foundation enabling us to maintain consistent double digit growth over the past 3 years. I have no hesitation in recommending Performative to any company needing help with business or sales performance issues.” MD, Sysmex
Sysmex, part of a major global corporation and a market leader in sophisticated blood analysis systems for laboratories, was facing increased levels of competition not just from other equipment manufacturers but, most significantly, from larger, established players with new strategies to provide fully managed solutions. To the NHS such solutions were particularly attractive as a means of dealing with budget constraints by removing the need for capital outlay. The MD was concerned that the sales personnel at all levels, the go-to-market methodology and sales processes were not ideally suited in the face of the new challenges.
The Performative Solution
Performative undertook a complete assessment of Sysmex’s sales position using the Performative Sales Maturity Assessment (SMA) and found:
- Sales people were qualified bio-medical scientists first and sales people second; they were most comfortable with products’ features, which influenced how they sold and to whom.
- Sales were typically made in the laboratory “scientist to scientist”, but NHS decision making was now a mix of procurement, finance, general management and steering committees which included members external to the NHS or the individual Primary Care Trust or hospital.
The SMA was followed by a Sales Performance Transformation Programme to change the selling operation to suit the new environment. Key deliverables were:
- New value-based solution proposition suitable for direct sales.
- New marketing collateral and web site in conjunction with an external agency.
- Complete structured selling methodology (Performative Structured Selling ®).
- Territory, account and deal planning processes including qualification and quantification.
- Sales pipeline and forecasting process including probability calculation on individual deals.
- Induction and sales training for all sales staff.
- Coaching and mentoring the Sales Manager.
- Support for the roll-out of a new CRM system.
- Support for the recruitment of new sales staff and a contracts/bid manager.
- Interim Sales Director role and recruitment of a permanent replacement.
A fully integrated and complete end-to-end sales process that underpinned the company’s healthy performance and enabled a corporate sale at a healthy multiplier.
“As a result of Performative developing and executing the Sales Performance Transformation Programme they achieved more in 4 months than we had been able to achieve during the previous 18 months.”
“Performative undertook three assignments for us between 2003 and 2005 including the customisation and deployment of Performative Structured Selling® of which the key principles are still in use today. We have come to realise the true benefit of this robust methodology as it remains a constant in the business regardless of the changes in personnel, market and proposition. The work done by Performative created a great foundation for what is now a very successful business.” MD, Smart421
Smart421 is a well-established systems integrator/software consultancy specialising in innovative business solutions at the sharp end of the IT industry. Prior to engaging Performative, the Smart421 board was facing falling revenues, and remedial actions over the previous 18 month period had been unsuccessful. Smart421 was keen to reverse this situation and aspired to a sales function that could grow existing customer relationships as well as find contracts with new companies.
The Performative Solution
The Performative Sales Maturity Assessment (SMA) uncovered many areas that required attention. A two phase approach resulted in the following deliverables:
- A pragmatic restructuring of the existing go-to-market model to provide a fully integrated end-to-end process.
- Separate sales teams for “new customer creation” and “account growth”.
- Initial focus on growth from existing customers to stabilise the business.
- A structured and supported outbound telephone “lead generation” function.
- Qualification and quantification processes for new customers and opportunities.
- Re-defined customer proposition and target markets.
- Sales recruitment, training and coaching.
- Providing an interim sales director and recruiting a permanent replacement.
- Design and roll-out of a new sales compensation scheme.
- Sales management coaching.
- New processes and templates for Account Planning and Deal Planning.
- A blended learning programme to cover all sales processes for sales and delivery staff.
- CRM and pipeline improvement plans to improve revenue forecasting.
A fully functioning, market aligned sales operation with a newly appointed Sales Director.
“The work done by Performative helped us establish a complete and structured approach to selling which gave us the means to grow the business in a controlled and predictable manner.
Performative helped pave the way for the steady year-on-year revenue increases that we have enjoyed following the completion of their work.” Paul Bragg, MD, Adept Scientific
Adept Scientific is a leading supplier of software and hardware to the research, science and engineering sectors. Adept’s extensive product range combined with superior service and support helps customers collect, analyse, simulate, organise and present data to deliver information and knowledge. Prior to engaging with Performative, Adept had become frustrated by the lack of business growth. Not unusually for a smaller business, Adept’s owners are experts in their field – in this case, science – and had achieved business success through their passion and knowledge of the subject, but they are not professional salespeople and did not have the experience to optimise their sales team to improve revenues.
The Performative Solution
Performative used a number of interventions to build a structured sales operation for Adept:
- A Sales Maturity Assessment (SMA) provided an assessment of existing sales capability and what needed to change to bring about the desired change in performance.
- A Market Focus Review (MFR) to improve understanding of Adept’s market proposition and how the sales people should exploit it to acquire new customers and gain additional business from existing customers.
- Restructuring of the sales force to provide appropriate effort to both new business development and existing account management; this led to more energy being focused on key accounts which held untapped growth potential.
- Introduction of territory and account planning tools and techniques.
- Introduction of qualification and quantification methods to assist with customer development, opportunity pursuit and pipeline management, reporting & sales forecasting.
- Design and delivery of training courses in selling skills as well as in the specially designed processes that had been implemented.
- Support for the recruitment of new sales people including design and deployment of an induction program for new recruits.
- Performative then provided an Interim Sales Director to embed the new sales approach while managing the sales team on a day-to-day basis. A recruitment campaign for a permanent head of sales was designed and implemented, followed by an induction programme and provision of on-going support for a period after his recruitment.