A transformed sales operation now selling solutions rather than just products and capable of competing and winning against all types of competitor.
“During the 15 month period of the Performative project we were going through significant change across the business. The extensive business knowledge of the senior Performative staff enabled them to make a major contribution to our change programme going well beyond the scope of the sales [performance transformation] project. The work done by Performative created a great foundation enabling us to maintain consistent double digit growth over the past 3 years. I have no hesitation in recommending Performative to any company needing help with business or sales performance issues.” MD, Sysmex
Sysmex, part of a major global corporation and a market leader in sophisticated blood analysis systems for laboratories, was facing increased levels of competition not just from other equipment manufacturers but, most significantly, from larger, established players with new strategies to provide fully managed solutions. To the NHS such solutions were particularly attractive as a means of dealing with budget constraints by removing the need for capital outlay. The MD was concerned that the sales personnel at all levels, the go-to-market methodology and sales processes were not ideally suited in the face of the new challenges.
The Performative Solution
Performative undertook a complete assessment of Sysmex’s sales position using the Performative Sales Maturity Assessment (SMA) and found:
- Sales people were qualified bio-medical scientists first and sales people second; they were most comfortable with products’ features, which influenced how they sold and to whom.
- Sales were typically made in the laboratory “scientist to scientist”, but NHS decision making was now a mix of procurement, finance, general management and steering committees which included members external to the NHS or the individual Primary Care Trust or hospital.
The SMA was followed by a Sales Performance Transformation Programme to change the selling operation to suit the new environment. Key deliverables were:
- New value-based solution proposition suitable for direct sales.
- New marketing collateral and web site in conjunction with an external agency.
- Complete structured selling methodology (Performative Structured Selling ®).
- Territory, account and deal planning processes including qualification and quantification.
- Sales pipeline and forecasting process including probability calculation on individual deals.
- Induction and sales training for all sales staff.
- Coaching and mentoring the Sales Manager.
- Support for the roll-out of a new CRM system.
- Support for the recruitment of new sales staff and a contracts/bid manager.
- Interim Sales Director role and recruitment of a permanent replacement.