Over the one year period of the assignment, the customer achieved:
- Revenue growth of 40% from $158m to $222m
- Reduction in cost of sale from 9% to 7% equivalent to $8m
- Reduction in the cost of marketing by $7m.
IMRglobal, a well-established IT solutions provider with a sales force operating in the USA, wanted to grow and expand its reach across the globe:
- The company had just gone public and needed to conform to the rigorous NASDAQ quarterly reporting requirements.
- The company embarked on a rapid programme of acquisitions (11 completed in 37 months) in eight countries across four continents.
- Each acquired business brought its own approach to sales and marketing. However, a consistent approach was needed across all business units enabling accurate and consistent reporting.
- Previous consultancy advice, from a reputable company, had led to a global sales training programme, which had not been successful; there was no reinforcement after completion of the courses, there was no corporate sales methodology, and there was no consistent approach to sales management.
The Performative Solution
Performative analysed the situation and convinced the senior management that for any solution to have wide, deep and lasting effect, there needed to be a programme of change across the organisation – not just in the people, but also the underlying infrastructure, methods and processes. A one year programme was authorised, with the key goal of developing a sales approach that could be easily and consistently implemented in each region. In our roles as interim global sales and marketing VP the following was achieved during the programme:
- Developed a new go-to-market model with a supporting sales methodology.
- Overhauled and restructured the US marketing operation which also functioned as the global marketing function.
- Profiled, re-structured and rebuilt the sales teams and their compensation schemes.
- Developed and rolled-out sales skills and process education programmes globally.
- Developed and implemented a new, more structured, sales management approach.
- Recruited sales directors and sales managers for the US operation and supported other regions in similar recruitment activities.
- Continued mentoring and support for a further 18 month period.